Wednesday, November 28

Traffic Reports that Suck

People on the radio in Memphis have no idea how to give a traffic report. I was leaving school today and heard the traffic from two different sources. One source was 'Snap 94.1' and the other was NPR. Both traffic reports mentioned only the intersections where there were accidents. I heard multiple accidents along my route home (I-240), but I had no idea how slow or fast the traffic was actually moving.

The Memphis traffic report is fascinated with these accident locations. From Union and Avalon to I-240 W and 385W, I hear about every intersection, regardless of size, where there is an accident. And for some really annoying reason, they report which accidents had injuries. I guess you can infer that traffic would be moving slower around these, but who knows.

As a regular commuter on the highways and byways of Memphis, I want to hear how the traffic is moving. I don't give a hoot about the locations of accidents unless it is making the highway slower than it usually is. Maybe I'm spoiled. In Philadelphia, you could count on 1060 AM every 10 minutes to give you a detailed traffic report (among other things). You would know which major highways were slow, in which direction they were slow, from what exit to what exit they were slow, and why they were slow. You would know this information regardless of whether there was an accident on the road you wished to travel. In Memphis, there is no report, ever, about the speed of traffic on any of the roads/highways around the city. It's a total fucking joke.

A note about my Holiday schedule: TFA Holiday part (partial open bar!) 12/8, last day of class 12/20, return home 12/22. Then on the 27th I have a flight reserved to fly to see Brittany in Pittsburgh. I did this last year and it turned out to be a time where we had nothing to do but hang out and enjoy each other's company. I also got to see Pittsburgh a bit, which brought back a bunch of memories from when I went out there more frequently as a kid to visit relatives. Im excited for this year, hoping it will just as good to be at Brittany's house (despite the awkward conversations with her often overeager father) as it has been before. It'll be great to finally spend some time with the ladyfriend that is not hurried or pressured because I've got to teach or she's got to become a doctor. Then we are going to drive back to Philly for the New Year's celebration somewhere in Goat City. I will spend some more carefree, Brittany filled days in Hershey, PA, before coming back to Memphis on Friday 1/4. I'm certainly counting down the days.

1 comment:

James said...

tfa has turned you into a grumpy old man